Thursday, July 10, 2008

Have you seen my ping pong ball?

Today, we took the subway to the Forbidden City, where the emperors of China lived until 1924. It can most simply be described as a box within a box within a box and so on... of halls and rooms and walls and gates. Legend has it that there are 9,999.5 rooms exist within the complex. The buildings are beautiful examples of imperial architecture and thus extend horizontally rather than vertically. I could not believe the extent of this place! It really just kept going and going. We saw buildings with exquisite details. Some parts were being renovated, and other parts were more newly painted and colorful. Standing in the huge squares in between the gates, I couldn't help but imagine the original inhabitants there, working and protecting the emperor, who was apparently pretty unreachable within the compound.

The buildings were mostly made of wood, and have burned down time and time again over the centuries. There are huge copper cauldrons in the squares where water was kept to extinguish the flames. I just don't understand how they got the water out-- these things are taller than people-- and I highly doubt they had the rubber hoses that we do today.

My favorite feature was the dragon and fish carvings that were on many of the railings outside of the gates. I also liked the rooftops which had carved 'beasts' at the edges and painted eaves. The Chinese are very symmetrical in their design and that was apparent in these structures.

The Forbidden City was different from some sites because you weren't able to see very well what was inside the rooms that had displays. It was dark inside them and you could just barely peek into the windows to catch a glimpse of the ancient artifacts inside. We did get to see the ornate throne (or one of) that the emperor would sit on.

The Imperial Garden was another fantastic sight. I think I could have sat next to the koi fish pond for awhile.

We were inside the walls all day, and still did not see everything! There were many, many tourists who were all there to experience the historical site. After visiting, I am very interested in learning more about the history of China's emperors. It was an eye-opening experience into more Chinese culture, history and tradition.

Also, I am going to buy a ping pong paddle so that Lauren and I can play at the table in the recreation area on campus. It's right next to the track, soccer field, and basketball courts. There are also things that resemble playground equipment that people seem to just stretch on. Pictures to come.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

HOLY MOLY You're in CHINA? If i dig straight down I could probably be there tomorrow. Hope things are awesome and I'm mad I didn't know about this Olympic work opportunity! Crap. Oh well. Have FUN!

219 represent.