Thursday, August 21, 2008

Pin trading and BMX biking

Yesterday marked the very first Olympic BMX race in the history of the Games. Pretty historic, and I had a prime view of all the action, stationed at what my photog friends called 'the best photo position at the venue'. Actually, if you want to be specific, they said the only good photo position at the venue. But, hey, I'm just a lowly photo position assistant, what do I know?

Today, it rained so much that the competition, including the BMX finals, were cancelled. It was a bummer; we all love watching the riders doing their jumps and riding around the hairpin turn (right in front of where I am standing) where
multiple crashes have already occurred. It is an exciting sport, with a totally different dynamic than that of track cycling. We've now gone from calm, Olympic theme song music and riders in Spandex so tight it must cut off circulation, to blaring rock music, fans in skater shoes, and riders in baggy jerseys. I must say it's a welcome change. I loved track cycling but it is nice to see something different.

Since we didn't have to work, Val, Traci, Megan, Andrea, Amy and I went to find the USA House, a place where American athletes and accredited sponsors can go to eat, hang out, party and buy Team USA goods. There are houses like this for all of the major countries at the Games. Supposedly, any American who knows about it can get into the store, but the fussy Russian lady (yes, Russian) at the front desk wouldn't let Val and I in because we didn't have the proper credentials.

Well, as you know from previous blogs, this pair of go-getters does not give up easily. We walk out, and see another door on the other side of the building open. Bingo. We walk into a restaurant area, where people are hanging out, eating and chatting. It is like we are supposed to be there, all fellow Americans enjoying themselves and the Olympics. No problem. We wander around, and after a few minutes, I decide to ask the bartender where the shop is. Right down the stairs? Why thank you. We headed down to heaven. I could have bought you all something in that store. Okay, two things. All of it was so cool. But I kept it under control and purchased a long-sleeve tee and the cutest running shorts ever for myself, and a couple of gifts. It was hard, let me tell you, but I made it through. Whew. When we left, we exited through the entrance that the Russian was at. You should have seen the look on her face. Oops!

Due to the weather, BMX will now be held tomorrow morning before the women's mountain bike race. Another early morning, but oh well. Hopefully we'll have a better day for it.

In addition to the cycling events at our venue, I am also involved in another type of sport (almost), and that is pin trading. Many people with accreditation badges (like mine) or even just Olympic hats or shirts take part in trading pins from places around the world. These collectable items are coveted by people and are really fun to display. I am building a bit of a collection, with many of my pins coming from my photog friends that I've met over the duration of the Olympics.

My favorite pin that I have received is a boxing kangaroo that I received from an Australian journalist who is friends with Ron, our Aussie photo expert. I am also hanging onto a Reuters Beijing 2008 pin that I received from my pal Jacky, a French photog who works for Reuters. He gave it to me after I helped him out by purchasing two venue pins for him (that can only be found in spectator areas, where photogs aren't allowed). Also, I told him that we volunteers didn't get any coffee; that it can only be found in the media lounge (where we aren't allowed) and so now he asks me every morning and afternoon if I need any coffee. Of course the answer is usually yes!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Chris! Way to go girl! If there is a way to do anything, you and Val will figure it out. And of course you would go out the Russian's door-I would have done the same thing! I bet it would be so tempting to buy everything in the store-(makes me think of the song "If I had a million dollars"). Are there any other collections going on--t-shirts from every country? Do all the countries have stuff or just the bigger ones? Enjoy your last week-live it up, be daring!! Love you, Aunt Becky

Anonymous said...

Christina,
I can only say WOW! I cannot believe everything you have experienced in China. I have just been able to get back and read more of your journey since school just started a week and a half ago. Keep up the good work in getting tickets so you can experience everything there. If you are ever back in Montgomery county drop by I would love to hear more of your stories from China.

Mrs. Nancy Bell

Anonymous said...

You go girls!! I love your can do spirit! I love reading all of your blogs. It must be so exciting to see so many events live. Go USA!!! Renee

Christina said...

Just the larger countries have Houses and only some have stores, much to the dismay of fans...
It's probably a good thing, though, otherwise we'd all be broke!